News

Please find below the proposed National Fencing Calendar for 2021.

The green highlighted events, dates & regions have been confirmed by the Fencing NZ Executive Committee.

One of the complex issues in our Covid hit NZ Fencing world is how to handle national ranking points in a way that is fair to everyone. This is of particular importance to future NZ team selection.

It is of course a global problem. The FIE for example have frozen all Olympic ranking points from 8th March this year until the 12th of March 2021. 

Here in New Zealand, many regions have been unable to run any regional events at all since the beginning of Covid.

That’s obviously unfair to a lot of competitors who, through no fault of their own, were unable to earn any ranking points events locally, and were also unable to travel to other regional events, either due to lockdown, or just the heightened risks associated with travel. 

Following extensive deliberation, the Board has therefore decided to freeze all ranking points from Friday 21st February, prior to the first Regional tournament of the year.

A committee has been formed to determine how major events across the country will be run in the 2021 Calendar year, and how points will be awarded going forward. We will update you on their progress as soon as possible.

Congratulations to our own Anya Kamynina (NZL) for making it to the Master List for 2021 as 2nd Reserve - Foil Referee.

Quite an achievement.

With the constant changes around Covid19 Alert Levels, there has been a great deal of uncertainty affecting all our fencers, their families, officials and coaches. As you’re aware, this has made it difficult to plan our major National Events, with all of them to date being cancelled or postponed. Many people will understandably now be reluctant to travel.

As we are all aware, with the recent recurrence of cases of Covid19, Auckland is currently in Level 3 lockdown and the rest of the country is in Level 2. This is expected to continue until 26th August, with a review by the government this Friday, 21st August.

With the news last night that NZ has it's first confirmed Covid-19 community transmission in over 100 days and the increased alert levels across the country, the Fencing New Zealand Board has agreed to postpone the President's Cup, which was due to be held in Wellington this coming weekend.

Guidance on fencing club activities outside of the Auckland region will be released as the situation becomes clearer, however at this stage providing the Alert Level 2 guidelines are followed they can continue.

Page 1 of 5
Load more

Recent News